Thursday, February 12, 2009

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind

I have been meaning to write something about Etta James for a very long time. I am a big fan of her music. I don't know what to make of the hub bub going on between her and Beyoncé Knowles.

I do hope they get it all worked out. But just so people understand what a talent that Ms. James is, consider just a few of her awards;

James is the winner of four Grammys and seventeen Blues Music Awards. She was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001, and the Grammy Hall of Fame both in 1999 and 2008.
Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind


3 comments:

jadedj said...

Funny and this is very strange. I was going to do a post several days ago about her. I am a fan from way back. But then I read about her alleged dissing and decided to put it off until I understood what happened exactly.

You are absolutely correct...none of this takes away her talent, and accomplishments. I still love her.

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prin said...

way back in my hole-in-the-wall bartending days I learned a very important trick. You can say "anything" you want to with a smile or as a joke and get by with it. I don't blame her for being pissed or having her feelings hurt. I don't care who has done "At Last" before Etta James or after her, the song is without a doubt "hers". I think they should have offered, at the very least, a duet. now that being said, if Beyonce hadn't delivered that song with the emotion and respect that she did I probably would have been more upset about the whole thing. Etta has since said that she was joking and that her audience knew she was joking. I hope she was because if anyone had delivered my song with such grace and eloquence I would have been proud even if a bit hurt. As much as I love Etta James version of At Last and basically anything she does I don't think I will ever forget the raw emotion Beyonce delivered with the song.