Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Best Blues Guitarist Alive???

Sometimes I answer questions over at Yahoo Answers. A lot of the questions are asked by kids and other people who do not really understand blues music very well. I like to share my knowledge and set people on the path of understanding the blues.

This question, which I think is kind of silly, because some people think that music is like a sport. They think that in the same way that you might pick the best wide receiver in the NFL you can pick the best guitarist in blues music. I personally don't think it can be done, because blues music is an art. And art is subjective!

Who's the best Blues Guitarist ALIVE right now?

Now, I'm not talking about one of the old feelas who's still doing gigs aged 70, but a modern young version of Hendrix, say.

Someone who still plays the blues from the heart and understands the idea of playing as if your heart is being ripped out of you because you'er suffering is so immense. Someone who REALLY understands the blues.

So, who is Numero Uno?
OK, this question makes me really tired. There is no number one. There are too many styles, too many great players to reduce all the hard work the these musicians do to just say that there is a number one. And even for those who can come up with a number one, they don't agree on who that is. LOL.

In my opinion, there are a lot of great blues guitarist, and there always have been. As you can see from all the answers that you have received that opinions fall all over the place.

But I think that right now is really a good time for blues guitarist.

Here are just a few of the people playing blues today that are young and up and coming that I like. In no certain order.

Sonny Landreth - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

Kenny Wayne Sheppard - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

Dereck Trucks - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

Rory Block - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

Guy Davis - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

Albert Cummings - @YouTube - @Amazon.com

I could probably name about ten more, but I just wanted to give you a few to take a look at.

Now if all goes well for these musicians 30 years or so from now, people may be arguing if they were some of the best of all times. What ever that means.


9 comments:

Dan said...

The conversations never work, everything is subective. That being said I can't believe you didn't mention Joe Bonamassa who is always mentioned.

GDC said...

A very nice list! I would love to know why this man gets so little attention for his blues talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tnwntOzUaE

(Fast forward to 3:00 if you're not getting it ;-)

All the people on your list are technically brilliant but only some can really get the feel of the blues. Actually Hubert Sumlin's little solo moved me the most of anybody.

So, why is Jack White not a great blues guitar player? Too rock?

Just curious!! Thanks.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Have to agree with Dan the Man - Joe Bonamassa is stunning.

As for the main point of your post, I find my favourite can change from day to day!

David
Music Musings

Anonymous said...

Oh good --- someone mentioned Joe Bonamassa...whew.

I'd also add Doyle Bramhall Jr. and Josh Smith into this nice mix. Who cares about naming number one -- it's just great to recognize those who are out there in the trenches doin' it every day.

Blues Historian said...

How about Lucky Peterson??

Tom

Anonymous said...

I like Joe Louis Walker

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Chris Cain. Period.