Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Birthday To Lightnin' Hopkins

Sam "Lightnin’" Hopkins was born on March 15 in 1912 and yesterday was his birthdate, he passed away on January 30 in 1982.

A good friend said, have you ever heard of Lightnin' Hopkins? I said no, he pulled a cassette tape out of his top shirt pocket and tossed it to me, "Give this a listen, your going to like it."

That has turned out to be one of the biggest understatements in this love affair that I have with the blues.

As I have mentioned in other post here at SML, I love Lightnin' Hopkins. My favorite album of his is Complete Aladdin Recordings*Complete Aladdin Recordings*

The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins (1967)


Lightnin Hopkins' Last Gig


Complete Aladdin Recordings
*Complete Aladdin Recordings*
Complete Aladdin Recordings*Complete Aladdin Recordings* by Lightnin' Hopkins
click image for mp3 samples


Lightnin' Hopkins @SqueezeMyLemon


1 comment:

Greg said...

Thanks Fitz! I would have missed this if not for you.