Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Canned Heat an American Blues Band

People, I believe that music is like a tree, as Adolfo ('Fito') de la Parra, the drummer for Canned Heat says. This tree was planted so long ago. It has many branches, and from time to time I climb out onto one branch or the other and marvel at the fruit that grows there.

One such branch, and yes I would say they are a whole branch, is the band Canned Heat. The word Love does not really convey what I feel toward them. There is a strong component of admiration, and also appreciation for what they did for blues music in the United States and the world. Almost more so then any other band of the time, they represented some of what is the best about blues music.

Canned Heat is what some call "a hard-luck blues band of the '60s" and with that I would have to agree. Founded by blues historians and record collectors Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, the bands bio is filled with tragedy, drama and many hard times. But make no mistake, there were good times too, these cats really lived the blues. From the start they did many of the right things that a band would need to do, to become famous. They played Monterey and Woodstock, which cemented their places in the blues pantheon.

I could go on gushing about them all day, but I'll spare you my feeble words and give you some of the good stuff. I'll let them speak for themselves.

The first two videos are interviews with members of the band, the third video is actually a play list of 12 or so videos.







Future Blues
Future Blues [IMPORT] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] by Canned Heat

click image for info @Amazon.com


Canned Heat @Amazon.com

Canned Heat @Amazon.com

Canned Heat @YouTube

Canned Heat's Official Web Site

A Concise History of Canned Heat

Oh, and one last thing, "Don't forget to boggie."


1 comment:

Ron Moorby said...

Not to forget the impact they had at Woodstock where I first remember them.