Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kindness - Virtue

So I guess I am one of those guys who likes lists, mathematics is my background. Being a relative newcomer to Blues it helps me as a focus for research and learning. However any suggestions that are more appropriate I'll include. So off with vices and virtues in no particular order and with some very spurious relationship to the topic. However I enjoy the music and that is the main thing? It's fun anyway.

Eric Clapton
- Kind Hearted Woman Blues
a cover of the famous Robert Johnson song

I got a kindhearted woman, do anything in this world for me
I got a kindhearted woman, do anything in this world for me
But these evilhearted women, man, they will not let me be

I love my baby, my baby don't love me
I love my baby oooh, my baby don't love me
I really love that woman, can't stand to leave her be



Robert Cray - My Last Regret
perhaps jazzy but an excellent performer. I might have some problems trying to justify putting this under this topic if pressed, not the happiest of lyrics


J.B. Hutto - Thank you for your Kindness
From a 1970 film (inducted into Blues Hall of Fame after his death)


3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Nice list. One other tune comes to my mind, although I don't think there is any video featuring it... Sonny Boy Williamson did some recordings in Copenhagen with MT Murphy - I guess it was sometime in the 60s. They did two versions of a tune called Down and Out, about a guy helping out a woman who was down and out. Murphy plays acoustic guitar on both the tunes and Mr. Williamson is in excellent form. They put down the song once, and then Sonny Boy changes the tempo by saying to MT Murphy, The little girl was down and out, you know...
she was down and out.

Ron Moorby said...

Excellent & knowledgeable comment - I immediately went hunting and you are quite right.

The only thing I could find was a tune from the 1920's that had the same name.

How long have you been accumulating this kind of info?

mister anchovy said...

I know those cuts because I had them on some European blues compilation at one point years ago. MT and Sonny Boy sound great together. The guitarwork is much more delicate than you would expect from MT Murphy, and it's beautiful to see them change up the tune so effortlessly making a second version.

I think the recording I referred to was on Storyville records...see the reference here.

As for how long I've been accumulating arcane music information, I guess the best answer is that I tend to learn quite a bit about performers I really like a lot, and not so much about performers that don't really turn my crank. I started listening to blues as a teenager, and when I went to University in the early 80s, I discovered they had a fantastic collection of blues vinyl so I took to hanging out in the library listening room, absorbing all kinds of great music, while doing a little studying on the side. I like all kinds of folk musics, and at my blog you'll see that includes loads of squeezebox music and ethnic folk music from all over the place. I love all kinds of music that sprung from the American south - blues, Cajun, Zydeco, Conjunto/Norteno/Tex-Mex, stringband, bluegrass, old-time, Appallachian, western swing, cowboy, the whole Texas singer-songwriter tradition and on and on. It's all good to my ears.

cheers.