Friday, May 29, 2009

One Man Band

The last time I saw a one man band perform, it was Johnny Lowebow at his shop in Memphis. I don't know exactly if you'd call this blues, but certainly it is squarely in a blues tradition. Here he is playing Katrina Dog.


Johnny Lowebow is by no means unique as a cigar-box guitar player. There's quite a strong tradition happening exploring these home-made instruments. Here's Dr. Oakroot.


Another fantastic one man band was Joe Hill Louis. He was recorded commercially for Sun in Memphis in the 50s. I love his groove. Here's the Hydramatic Blues. Great title!


Another well-known one man band is Jesse Lone-Cat Fuller. He's famous for San Francisco Bay Blues, but I quite like this version of John Henry. Mr. Fuller invented an instrument he called the fotdella, a foot-operated percussion bass that used six bass strings a body, foot pedals and padded hammers. Great idea.

Let's go out with Mike Whellans, human juke box.


3 comments:

jadedj said...

Pat my head, and rub my tummy. As an ex-drummer, no way. Mike Whellans, the most impressive of them all, I think. He's doing more than just stroking and pounding...he's actually playing the instruments. Wow.

mister anchovy said...

Lowebow's cigar box guitars were set up with electric guitar strings and bass guitar strings. I think he had multiple pickups separating the bass and treble bits to separate tube amps.

fitzgerald said...

I love musicians who have the coordination to play, accompany themselves and sing.

I follow Doctoroakroot over at http://twitter.com/doctoroakroot
and you can check out some of his home made guitars http://doctoroakroot.com/

I think of what he does as a kind of art, and would love to make my own guitar.