Monday, February 20, 2012

Ella: Ella Fitzgerald

The First Lady of Song - definitely the best voice I have ever heard. I like the ways her voice changed throughout her extensive 59 year career. I judge all others by her standards - it is so difficult to choose any favourite songs or performances. I am always willing to learn if anyone has any suggestions.

Fitzgerald had an extraordinary vocal range. A mezzo-soprano (who sang much lower than most classical contraltos), she had a range of “2 octaves and a sixth from a low D or D flat to a high B flat and possibly higher”

and scat


4 comments:

dlwilson26 said...

I liked the videos that you posted. Ella Fitzgerald is one of my favorites too. I still can't get over a recording she did just starting out with Chick Webb's band, titled "All My Life." What a pure sound and I still wonder that she was about 18 years old at the time.

David Wilson
loudcaster.com/channels/1015-hipjukebox

Ron Moorby said...

Thanks David - I have just been listening to the track you suggested and a very classy song. It is of course impossible with that lady's repertoire to pick out favourites - so strong.

fitzgerald said...

While it is always difficult to pick a favorite when considering great singers, Mrs. Fitzgerald has to be put at the top of the list.

I love almost everything she did.

Ron Moorby said...

So do I fitz - as with the next two