Thursday, July 03, 2014

The Tomas Doncker Band

Spent the morning listening to a new Moanin' at Midnight: The Howlin' Wolf Project by the Tomas Doncker Band.  And I have to say it is good stuff.  I really like their rendition of Howlin Wolf's "Spoonful".

This band is exactly the kind of music that I enjoy listening to, they are rooted in traditional blues music, but are also pushing the boundaries and not just kicking out the same old sound.  This band does Traditional Blues, Psychedelic Blues, Soul, and I think I hear some Reggae/World Music influences in there.  And it is all done with style and skill.

Check out this video of their song "Shook Down" which was co-written by the legendary Pulitzer Prize winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa.  I also love the harmonica being played in this video.





No comments: